Wyckoff is a very active affluent community with great shopping with smaller stores and restaurants. They have a wonderful environmental center that is great for walking. Parks and green spaces. Schools are excellent and there are several buses that run to Port Authority but no train in town. Students can choose between attending Ramapo HS in Franklin Lakes or Indian Hills High School in Oakland, both belong to the Ramapo Indian Hills District.
The YMCA has a huge complex in Wyckoff with everything you can imagine. Wyckoff Day happens every year in the summer.
There are many large homes for families but also nice townhome options and a 55+ community as well with easy access to town.
There are many houses or worship throughout the town.
Located in Northwest Bergen County, midway between Saddle River and the Ramapo Valley, the Township of Wyckoff was originally inhabited by the Lenape Indians. In 1720, the first settlers were recorded as John and William Van Voor Haze. There is reason to believe that the name Wyckoff is a derivation of the Indian word "wickoff" meaning high ground or "wickok" meaning water.
The Township was the site of the Sicomac "happy hunting ground" where many of the Lenape, including Oratam, Chief of the Ackingshacys, were buried. The high ridge connecting the present Township with Hawthorne was the place where the Minsis of northern New Jersey met to barter with the Long Island Indians. The famous Minnisink Trail from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean ran through the southwestern section, which has retained the old Indian name, Sicomac.
As part of East Jersey, the territory now comprising the Township was originally in the hands of Sir George Carteret, who along with Lord John Berkeley received a grant for all of New Jersey from the Duke of York in 1664. During this early settlement, the Wyckoff area was part of Saddle River Township, which included all the land in Bergen County west of Saddle River. In 1771, the municipalities of Wyckoff, Ridgewood, Ramsey, Ho-Ho-Kus, Franklin Lakes, Oakland and Midland Park was incorporated as Franklin Township. During the following 150 years, various sections of Franklin Township split off and incorporated.
In 1926, four years after the creation of Franklin Lakes Borough, the Chamber of Commerce initiated a name change from Franklin Township to Wyckoff. On November 2, 1926, voters approved the name Wyckoff with 243 positive votes out of 337.
Since its first settlement in the early 18th Century and eventual incorporation in 1926, Wyckoff, New Jersey has developed into a lovely tree-lined residential community of approximately 16,000 residents. The Township of Wyckoff comprises seven square miles and is only 27 miles from New York City.
In 2011, Ashley Garbaccio, developed The Wonders of Wyckoff, an historical coloring book of Wyckoff to earn the Girls Scouts of America Gold Award. The coloring book is for the children and residents of Wyckoff. Beneath the drawings are short facts pertaining to the illustration including its historical significance.
The data relating to the real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program of the NJMLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than New Jersey MLS are marked with the Internet Data Exchange logo and information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Some properties listed with the participating brokers do not appear on this website at the request of the seller. Listings of brokers that do not participate in Internet Data Exchange do not appear on this website. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Source: New Jersey Multiple Listing Service, Inc. 2020 New Jersey Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated: 25th September, 2020 5:54 PM (UTC).